Sunday 9 April 2023

Uncut Gems

Just a quickie as it's been a long time since my last post.

Having a puppy has completely changed my life priorities. It used to be : Write this! Achieve that! Play the next thing! Organise this! Now it's:

Doze on sofa with diminutive, furry life-form.

Damn.

But I do recall a time when I enjoyed the writing process. I think it happened just before I realised I hated the editing process.

It's a beautiful Easter Sunday morning here, with brightness refracting through dew drops and sunlight licking the underside of leaves. A discarded kid's bicycle lies half on the road. Neighbours are out walking and glow at the pup, who rolls over at the slightest sign of attention.

Rather than hide away upstairs playing Apex last night I stayed downstairs with the pup on my lap and flicked through films on the fire-stick. After successfully avoiding the western remake (yee-haw!) of 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' with Daniel Craig, I settled upon a 2019 film for which Adam Sandler (I wanna Grow Old With You) won an Independent Spirit Award For Best Male Lead, Uncut Gems. 

Uncut Gems (2019)

I was only going to watch half as it was getting late, but something about the film kept me up. Things seemed to be going from bad to worse for the poor guy and I had to find out if he could make it. Such a great performance from Adam Sandler, who we're so used to seeing in comedies. According to Wikipedia, career-defining.

I can't reveal too much about the film: I just recommend you view it for yourself. It's a transformation. Rated 15 there is a lot of strong language, so if you're going to be watching something with family I might suggest Murder Mystery 2 (rated 12), which is also a pretty good and recent film of Sandler's (and Jennifer Aniston's!) film which my son and I enjoyed.

Murder Mystery 2 (2023)

Well, I suppose I should get back to my adulting responsibilities, such as pottering in the garden not getting much done and trying to remember where I left my memory.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment