Monday 14 March 2011

Great Eastern Japan Earthquake Day 4

 We were due to get the Shinkansen out of Shin Yokohama but heeding a feeling in my gut I went down to check the Machida JR station early only to find that all the shutters were down and the station closed, with no employees anywhere to be found. Taped to the shutters was a typed notice in Japanese explaining the situation, but I could barely understand a word. I was too angry and disappointed. What I’d envisaged was coming true. We were being trapped in Tokyo.

The train lines were supposedly being closed due to rolling black outs to try and save power due to many of the nuclear power plants being shut down for safety fears.

I went home and explained things to my wife. Then I began watching the wind direction to check if there were any NW winds blowing radioactive dust in our direction. 

On the website Wiki Questions I asked what the best way to avoid inhaling radioactive dust particles was, and one guy said a face mask with wet tissue paper on the inside, so that’s what I used most of the time I went outside. But whether or not it was effective I don’t know. I think my chest may have started hurting due to inhaling fragments of wet tissue paper.

In Fukushima reactor building unit 3 exploded injuring eleven people. The president of the French nuclear safety authority said that Fukushima should be rated a 5 (accident with wider consequences) or even a 6 (serious accident) on the INES.

While some people were arguing about what rating to give it, other people were making themselves sick drinking mouthwash containing iodine mistakingly thinking this would protect them from thyroid cancer.


Day 5

No comments:

Post a Comment